Other places

Around the Block, August CKC

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Good Intentions Realized

The results from the first CKC kit of the year, Good Intentions has been mixed. Not as prolific as kits in the past, but better than none at all. Considering my hiatus from scrapping and CKC, I suppose it is a good first month back. A weekend retreat and one Saturday were dedicated to getting me back in the groove. Going back to work, last summer has really taken a bite out of my productivity in the scrap studio.


First a review of the techniques attempted with this kit. I find I have to plan a list of techniques when building the kit, or I just don't remember to use my tools, stamps, inks etc. Slowly I am learning to welcome the opportunity to get messy.

The gold paint pen I thought I could do loopy writing with was all dried up.
And I did not (yet) use the piercer and yarn to make stitched letters.
It was fun to paint on the backs of the clear letters. Using a scrabble cheater site, I found I have letters left to spell "holiday" and "faux". You know that will have to show up on one of our day trip/getaways to the city.

I tried to use Versamark as a resist on the white chip die cuts. It didn't turn out how I thought it would, but I am happy with the results.
And inspired by Lisa and her Silhouette, I pull out my Cricut and CTMH Artbooking cartridge. Some of the off cuts were as much fun to use as the cut images which was one of the CKC challenges in January, to use a negative image.


Stamping on a layout was also featured on my to-use list. So let's get to the show and tell part.
 Tom and Jo would sit on the banister by the kitchen window and do their best to provoke me into pity for their plight. The comic strip had been tucked away with the picture. Do you put small mementos in your photo albums to remember to use them when (if?) you scrap the photos?

Posies with brads and rub-ons reflect the floral spray on Becky's bib. Gold dot washi is torn to add just a smidgen of regal reference.
Cohen was featured in our local newspaper. Of course I had to save and scrap it. Layout feature photocopies of the original publication.

Race Day features some of the Cricut die cuts I made. And story style, journaling. A huge departure for me, from the usual point form recording of who, what, where and when.
We are so proud of you for your determination. You really were not interested in being in the cross country race. We had to pry you away from the playground equipment. When your shoe fell off, shortly after the starting gun, we thought you might give up. But you didn't! You pulled your shoe on, got up and kept on going. Your music teacher helped run you in, to the finish line. No doubt, there will be many more "falls" in your life. If you always remember the little boy that picked up and kept on running you will have the courage to carry on. Success is not in winning but in doing the best that YOU can.

What makes me smile features the "lasagna" paper, cut into strips (again), clipped and inked. Then overlapped to look like strips of ribbon. This is where the Sweet Branch, rub-ons were used along with CTMH canvas die cuts. And another paragraph of journaling? What is going on around here?
Mommy always dreeses you both up for family dinners at Gramma and Grampa Griffin's house. I look forward to seeing your outfits and hair dos each time.
Spice of Life. The title was stamped. I thought I was going to pierce and sew the letters but ended up trying out my new gold pencil crayon. This is where the clear letters were painted on their backs. And those sequin bits were what fell out of a card from Lisa.
My real friends understand. Being able to reach for the perfect seasoning is just like having the right tool for the job.
 Time to start on the next kit. Usually I am at the very end of my active kit at this point, but this one still has a lot of life to it. Going to keep it intact for the next month and see how it goes. Some of the bits will be good to pull forward to the next kit. hmmmm....maybe I am on to something. It might end up that my kit will morph itself each month, into the new kit. This is going to take some thought, first.

Meanwhile, I am grateful for the chance to get back to tapping into that creative gene. And extra thankful for a husband who said, just the other day,
I'm not just saying this but I am so glad that you are scrapping again. You are happier when you are scrapping. 
Yup! That I am.

Thanks for stopping by. Double thanks for comments.

10 comments:

  1. Love the comic strip on the layout. I try to keep them together until I can put them on a layout.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of your layouts...you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, look at you scrap and scrap and scrap. Lovely work here, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your husband sounds perfect and it's so true! I'm happier too when I'm scrapping. my daily LOAD scrapping this month has me very happy indeed and now I see your creativity from January, I'm more than happy!

    How nice to know that I've inspired you to dust off the cricut! I love the hello world cut and the yellow card on the cross country race page. And how perfect to use my sequins on your spice layout. It's always lovely to see what you are creating and to see you there in the Mr Linky, don't stay away so long!

    And next week, we will at least be on the same continent for a few days! Who knows, one day, I might manage to get up to where you are :-) and then we could scrap together! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget I am only a half day's drive from Jasper. We could stay at the Jasper Park Lodge, which is my favorite place to be. (sigh)

      Delete
  5. What a fab bunch of gorgeous layoutS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you've done to the white chip hearts.
    The idea of a morphing kit is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic ideas here.Your layouts look fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute layouts :) Wow you got quite a bit out of your kit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much lovliness from one kit! great work! I'm a bit jealous of your spices!

    ReplyDelete