Other places

Around the Block, August CKC

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Frosty Days, Cozy Nights.

The new year started for me with the launch of the January Counterfeit Kit Challenge Kit.  It is A Merry Winter December FIT Kit from Paper Issues, an etsy shop. The kit to copy is red, teal, lime and pink.

First of all, the kit calls for white and kraft card stock.  This time around I will pull card stock, as I need it with a note to self to make sure I do a layout or two on white and on kraft as these are not my go-to colours for backgrounds.

I began by pulling paper in the brighter colours. They pinks, reds and teals were well represented in my stash. As I flip through the different categories that my paper is divided into, any that resemble the kit get put to the side. Some of the patterns may have four or five possible candidates. When I have most of the patterned papers matched up, I begin to weed out the extras. Comparing the patterns to the example, choosing the one that best represents the colour and energy of the one in the kit. The extras are then returned to their respective drawers.

 The first two photos above shows the A and the B sides of two sided papers. The kit has eleven sheets of patterned paper in it. By the time I am finished copying each one as best I can, I have 22 sheets. 



Left to right, from the top, my paper picks are:

Beige floral, muk (manufacturer unknown)
Ki Memories, Elsie, Noel Tinsel
Creative Memories, Divine, tone-on-tone pack
Teal Chevron, muk
Monochromatic pattern in red, ebay stockpile, muk
Tinkering Inc., Westminster
DCWV, Black and White stack
Daisy D's, Striscin
Grey pattern, muk
Paper Inc., Lasting Impression, Poppy Fleur
Making Memories, Panorama, Ledger Palmtree Panorama

Kaiser Craft, Timeless Collection, Ledger. (side B, shown here looks like sudoku)
Hot of the Press, Paper Pizazz, Chocolate, Dark, Light and White stack
Small multi-coloured pattern, muk
Echo Park, Fancy Floral (side B)
Red and gold chevron, muk
Creative Memories Divine, tone-on-tone pack
Small pattern in teal, muk
DCWV, Black and White stack
Soft blue hounds tooth, muk
Kaiser craft, Distracted, Confused
Fancy Pants Designs, Frosted, Frosted Cards.

Now some of these 22 sheets are double sided. Those that are look like this:


I am thinking all this paper is going to make a lot of layouts.

Luckily the embellishments came together with a lot less effort than the paper. My pointer finger is chapped from licking and flicking through so many papers.

My counterfeit kit includes:

Red chipboard letters from Scenic Route
Card stock stickers from Bo Bunny, Holiday Cheer
Teeny alphas, teal wood grain, Glitz
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, pearl
Brads, Basic Grey, stitched

And may I interject here, what a misnomer "Basic Grey" is? In my hunt for softly patterned grey paper, it came to my attention that BG paper is not.

For the "3 random Mistable chipboard stars from Pink Paislee", as called for in the kit, I have made note to try out my new deep cutting blade on the cricut.

Cream rosette, muk
Red rosette, muk
For 2 pins, I have a found hat pin and package of Bling Assortment from CTMH
For the silver and white dots, I pulled in a package of American Craft Elements, assorted brads.

The three kraft banner pieces will be a simple item to mock-up with stash.

A card of vintage teal buttons from Gramma's button box. The price tag on the card says 10 cents.

Wood die cut branch (with bird) Kaiser Crafts
Bakers twine, seam binding, and fancy trim are all muk.

This assortment is not nearly enough for  number of layouts that will come of these papers, so I also have a basket of "go-to" items to help fill in. Some new, part used, scrap supplies and found items. It is a delicious jumble to dig through.


And my kit, Frosty Days, Cozy Nights, looks like this:


Thanks for reading. Double thanks for comments.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Sherrie...I loved reading about your process for assembling your kit. It looks like you will have enough paper to get many, many layouts done on some cozy nights (great title, by the way). And I would love to pick through your go-to basket, too! Looks like lots of treasures in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so quick off the mark and even though you said you would have to fight with this one a bit, I think you've come up with a winner! all those lovely bright colours will be sure to brighten up your January. Can't wait to see your pages take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sherrie that is one huge kit. Can't wait to see what you create with all that prettiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knocked it out of the park AGAIN, girlfriend! I love how your choices are always really unique but SO in tune with the inspiration :~D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've really nailed the colour and matched so well! Loved looking through what you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done a fantastic job counterfeiting the inspiration kit! really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh fabby kit - I see some of my (now sadly just scraps remaining) fave papers in there - great counterfeiting! Have fun with the kit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You kit looks fabulous! I'm especially jealous of the vintage teal buttons, they are such a stunning colour! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your papers are so cool, and makes up such a fresh kit Sherrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your kit! am loving the trims and of course the wooden birdee :)

    ReplyDelete